The Tillotson Center has been renovated and is now a prestigious performance and arts center for the local communities.
The building was acquired by the CDDA in 2006 with the intention of restoring the building into a useful asset for the area. Once work got under way, it was discovered that the fabric of the building would need considerable replacement and reconstruction to allow it to satisfy the stringent safety requirements of a building that would be open to the public. Undaunted, the CDDA formed the Tillotson Center committee under the chairmanship of Rick Tillotson to take on this mammoth task and in 2011, because of the scope of the project, the committee formed it's own 501(c)(3) non-profit charity. The CDDA then transferred ownership of the building to them so that work could continue.
Originally a stagecoach barn built in the 1800's, the building was converted into a meeting hall by the Colebrook Grange organization in the 1920's. In addition to meetings, the hall was used for dances for the next 50 years, until the closure of the Colebrook chapter of the Grange.
Anyone can help become part of this phoenix rising from the ashes: by becoming a member of the Tillotson Center; volunteering to help with the work; or sponsoring some part of the finishing work. Contact the Tillotson Center:
by mail: 14 Carriage Lane, Colebrook, NH 03576
phone: (603) 237-8576